The Manistee County Historical Museum serves as a non-profit, permanent museum, owned and operated by the Manistee County Historical Society and overseen by a board of directors. Our year round staff includes an Executive Director, an Assistant Director, and a volunteer staff.
The Lyman Building
The Water Works Building
THE LYMAN BUILDING: Dedicated as the Russell Memorial Building, this structure remains as it was in 1905. The A.H. Lyman Drug Co. was the consolidation of three of Manistee's drug companies. The A.H. Lyman Co. was the largest drug company north of Grand Rapids by 1890. In 1892 the store expanded and took over 425 River and included a school book department. The business continued at this location after the death of A.H. in 1896 under a corporation of employees headed by E.W. White. The druggist portion of the store closed when Mr. White died in 1951. The school book department continued until 1957. In 1960 the White family gave the building to the museum. A special drug exhibit is kept in remembrance of the store's earlier history. Museum displays include the Lyman Drug Store, period rooms, and one of the most extensive collections of Victorian antiques and photographs in the state.
THE WATERWORKS BUILDING: Preserved as the county's first historical museum, this building now houses logging, railroad, and marine exhibits and memorabilia of Manistee in the Nineteenth Century. The Water Works Museum at 540 First Street is maintained by the Manistee County Historical Museum and is opened mid June through early September. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission is $1.